PitaPata Dog tickers PitaPata Dog tickers

Monday, July 23, 2012

Street life- the observer

It has been near four months Dao Sah Pao joined my family, our family. I've no idea of her history except that she was a motor- vehicle accident's victim, or in simple term, a hit and run case. Most four legged don't survive a hit an run mainly because the speed of the on going vehicle, or if they survived the first car, death might claim them on the next or following cars. If my memory serve me right, she was found by the roadside and picked up by some kind- hearted Samaritans then sent to the PAOs' vet, that's how I got to know of her existence.

I have this odd habits of picking up needy strays since I was a kid, not to bring home but to place them in a nearby garage where cardboard boxes were the usual "home" for them in the garage while I send in food, water and old fabric daily to keep them warm, and to play with them too. Over the years, I've lost count on how many street animals had actually spent some time of their life staying in that dark, little garage before moving on, it is as if that dark, little garage served as a guest house for them as backpackers who happened to lost their way during their journey. Most of the time, these animals left by themselves, some still came back every now and then to that dark, little garage which they once seek shelter. How do I know? I still keep this habit of mind of leaving food ( this time round, dry kibbles) and a bowl of clean water at the very same spot whenever I'm back to hometown around the same time of the day, and I can still see some of these furry friends of mine showing up around the same time, only difference is, they are much bigger ( or older) now and they just don't seem to remember me by judging the way they move back and get ready to run everytime I try to approach them. I guess it is the way of life for them, on the street, and to protect themselves, they've learnt not to trust anyone. Fair enough.

I guess life on street had never been easy, though I still see many of them around town at different hour of the day. Once in a while I would come across a heart wrenching scene on road while driving to nearby plant nursery for field inspection. You never knew why and how, these street wise four legged friends of yours who spent most of their lifetime on street, yet one day end up lifeless, blood splatted and cold bodied in the middle of the road while its companions at the other side of the road looked upon, staring at the dead body of their unfortunate friends before moving on to join the rest of the pack.

Long before I met Dao Sah Pao in the vet clinic, I have always thought Teh Pao would be the one and only one I can afford to have. The time, efforts and money pulled in to make sure that quality of life for Teh Pao will never allow me to have another dog, or pet but time proved me wrong. I do admit among the two PAOs, I am very much attached to Teh Pao, probably because we are bonded way back during Teh Pao's puppyhood, until I personally met Dao Sah Pao, then things changed. I still consider Teh Pao my best playmate, a partner in crime, as for Dao Sah, she is more of a darling in my heart whom I seek comfort, the one that I can cuddle and lean upon on frustrating moments but not for adventures or mischief; they both held different position, but shared the same level, thus outsiders will be able to distinguished the difference in way of interaction between me and the PAOs. My mom always say that Teh Pao is a lucky dog, because she was lucky enough to picked up right even before she was aware of the reality of this world, and I do agree with that ( which explains Teh Pao's confidence when meeting strangers); as for Dao Sah, I would too agree that in a way she was also lucky because death didn't manage to claim her, which allowed for our meeting, and later on our bonding. I used to consider myself a lucky person, I still am, I'm glad to the fact that I met the PAOs, although on different occasion and timing, they both fitted in my life perfectly, which we now live with them as part of the family, with little adjustment of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment